Whitney Catalano is a Registered Dietitian specializing in intuitive eating for driven and passionate women who are ready to reclaim their life by breaking up with dieting. She adopts an anti-diet view and stresses connecting with your body’s food preferences, hunger and fullness cues, and finding a weight that is effortless for your body.
In this episode we discuss:
- How social trends around body image set us up for a bad relationship with food, how these things can be passed down from parents to kids. Kids are sponges, and if they see their parents engaging with food in a negative way they will likely develop the same negative food mindsets.
- The restriction vs binging pendulum. If you are struggling with binge eating , it may be because you tried to over restricted yourself in the past and vice versa.
- Body size is not necessarily an indicator of self control or laziness.
- Biases todays body size and how bigger people are shamed from multiple different areas of life , most notably healthcare providers (doctors, nurses, etc)
- The inner bully – being a bully to yourself / shaming yourself when you make a bad food decision, the importance of recognizing these thoughts exist, and not always taking them as gospel.